Since 1945 more than six million people from across the world have come to Australia to live. Today, more than 20 per cent of Australians are foreign born and more than 40 per cent are of mixed cultural origin.

Thursday 19 January 2012

The language

Quite quickly after landing I realised that in Australia, every occupation seems to have a nickname. You'll know what I mean if your already living here, but you'll notice when you land if not. Just put the news on the TV and you'll see what I mean. (If you manage to catch the first lines of the news after an ad break....but that's for another post)


So there's been a car crash....but don't worry because the "fireies" and the "ambos" are at the scene. (Fire brigade and the ambulance / paramedics)

So it's 6 AM and you hear a lorry outside....ahhh its just the "Garbos" (Bin men) another point to note...no one knows what a lorry is...its called a truck.

I'm sure there are more examples of this but I cant think of them now...feel free to have your input.

I've been here 9 months now and I still say things sometimes and get the strangest looks, and the reply..."the what?"

Lorry is one of those...sweets is another one, they call them lollies...I know, weeeeird. Lolly's are called ice blocks if your wondering.

You'll also need to find the right time and place to ask for chips. Chips are crisps....hot chips however are....well....chips.

Avoid embarrassment by not telling anyone that your thong is wedged up your bum. You definitely WILL get a funny look.  What the Aussies call thongs are what the Brits call flip flops. I don't need to explain why that could be embarrassing.


There will be a lot more of these you'll come across, I wont go telling you all of them, I'd rather you learn the hard way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment